1. Figure out if there has been a significant change

How do I bring a motion to change a court order about parenting arrangements?updated
This question has an answer and 5 steps

1. Figure out if there has been a significant change

Look to see if you or your partner's situation has changed.

If you have to go to court, the court will only make an order changing your decision-making responsibility and parenting time arrangement if there has been a significant change.

Decision-making responsibility and parenting time used to be called custody and access.

You have to show the judge:

  1. There has been a change that affects your child or the ability of you and your partner to meet the needs of your child.
  2. The change must greatly affect your child.
  3. The change is something that could not have been predicted at the time the original order was made.

Some examples may include:

  • The conflict between the parents has got worse over time.
  • The parent with decision-making responsibility is always making it difficult for the parent with parenting time to spend time with the child.
  • The child's new school schedule conflicts with parenting time.

If you cannot prove a significant change in your or your partner's situation, the court will not make the change.

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: March 1, 2021

Parlez Français