1. Review your partner's court forms

My partner started a family law court case against me. How do I respond?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

1. Review your partner's court forms

Your partner has to serve you with a copy of their court forms. The purpose of service is to let you know that your partner has started a court case against you and to give you a chance to respond.

Rule 6: Service of documents says that the first time your partner gives you copies of their court documents, they have to serve you by special service. This means your partner can’t give them to you directly. They have to get a family member or friend over 18 years old to serve you, or they can hire a professional process server.

Once you get your partner's documents, read them carefully. Make sure you understand the orders your partner is asking for.

You will get a:

  • Form 8: Application, which tells you the orders your partner is asking for, and their reasons for those orders.

You may also get:

Reviewed: August 19, 2020

Parlez Français