1. Talk to your partner

Find services

Family Law - Separation and divorce
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Ministry of the Attorney General
Ministry of the Attorney General

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

How do I change my court order?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

1. Talk to your partner

You and your partner can talk about changing your court order to deal with the changes in your situation. You can talk to your partner on your own, with the help of someone you both trust, or with the help of a lawyer or mediator.

If you can agree on changing your court order, you do not have go to court to have a judge make a decision for you. But you still need to file documents with the court and get a new order based on your agreement. This called a consent order.

You can also now file most family law forms and documents for a family court case online, including a consent order. For more information, read the question How do I file court forms for my family law case online? If you're not allowed to, or don't want to file your documents online, then you have to file them in person at the courthouse.

If you file in-person, take your completed documents at the same level of court that made your court order. So, if the Superior Court of Justice made the order, you must go back to a Superior Court of Justice in the jurisdiction that your child currently lives to change it.

There is a guide on how to file documents.

Child support

If you and your partner agree to change an order for child support only, you need to fill out:

  • Form 15D: Consent Motion to Change Child Support, which sets out the new child support arrangements you and your partner agree to. You and your partner have to sign the form in front of a witness. You cannot witness each other's signatures. Attach a copy of your existing order.
  • Form 25: Order, where you write the orders you want the court to make. Be specific about which terms of the existing order you're asking to change.
  • Support Deduction Order.
  • Support Deduction Order Information Form.
  • Confirmation of Assignment form, if you don't know whether your support payments are or was assigned to a social services agency. This means the payments go through an agency such as Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • 2 self-addressed, stamped envelopes, one for each of you if you want your order mailed to you. Otherwise you can pick it up from the court or have it faxed to you.

Other issues

If you and your partner agree to change an order for child support and other things, like your custody and access order, you need to fill out:

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: September 1, 2020

Parlez Français