What if my partner takes our child to another country without my permission?

1. Tell the police and others if your child is missing

There are things you can do as soon as your child is missing. You should:

  • contact your local police
  • tell your friends and family
  • tell your child's school, doctor, and other service providers
  • contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868, to tell them that your child is missing and that you do not consent for them to be taken out of Canada
  • contact Consular Services at 1-800-387-3124, to get help preventing your child from being taken out of the country

You should also consider bringing an emergency or without notice to your partner. This means that you ask a judge to make a to decide specific issues before a trial. If you don't already have an order for for your child, you will want to ask for an order for it. Decision-making responsibility used to be called .

See Step 2 in What if I need a court order quickly to deal with partner abuse issues? for more information on emergency or ex parte motions.

Hide this website