1. Tell the police and others if your child is missing
There are things you can do as soon as your child is missing. You should:
- contact your local police
- tell your friends and family
- tell your child's school, doctor, and other service providers
- contact Passport Canada at 1-800-567-6868, to tell them that your child is missing and that you do not consent for them to be taken out of Canada
- contact Consular Services at 1-800-387-3124, to get help preventing your child from being taken out of the country
You should also consider bringing an emergency or without notice to your partner. This means that you ask a judge to make a to decide specific issues before a trial. If you don't already have an order for for your child, you will want to ask for an order for it. Decision-making responsibility used to be called .
See Step 2 in What if I need a court order quickly to deal with an abusive partner? for more information on emergency or ex parte motions.