1. Think about what you want

Think about where you want your child to live while you and your partner decide on and . These used to be called and . You should do what is best for your child.

You may want to remove your child from the conflict with your partner by sending your child to live in another province or country with extended family while you decide on decision-making responsibility and parenting time.

Think about how your child may feel if they had to move far away and not see either of you for a period of time. Dealing with your separation and will be hard enough for your child. They may not want to leave their home environment, friends, and school.

If your child is older and emotionally mature, you can ask them what they want. Sometimes children do not want to be part of these decisions. But if they do and you think they are able to give their views and wishes freely, then you can discuss their choices with them.

But, until there is an agreement or about decision-making responsibility and parenting time, you and your partner cannot decide where your child will live without the other's approval.

If you send your child to live in another province or country without your partner's agreement or a court order, your partner may call the police. The police will alert the Canadian border officials and the border officials of the country where you sent your child.

Your partner might also go to court to get an order to have the child returned to Ontario. Under an international agreement called the Hague Convention, many countries will enforce a Canadian order that says a child should be returned.

Hide this website