Can I send my child to another province or country before parenting is decided?

2. Talk to your partner

You and your partner can try to agree on sending your child to live in another province or country while you decide and . These used to be called and . You can talk to your partner on your own, with the help of someone both of you trust, or with the help of a lawyer.

Talk to your partner about what is best for your child. A parenting plan checklist can help you with the things you may have to think about. Not everything on the checklist may apply to your situation.

You may be able to agree on things like:

  • your child lives in another province or country with extended family for a certain amount of time while you decide on decision-making responsibility and parenting time
  • how to communicate with your child, whether by telephone, email, skype, or text
  • how to get information about your child from other people like doctors and teachers
  • how to contribute to your child's care

If you agree on issues related to your children, you can make a . A parenting plan can be an informal arrangement between the two of you, or it can be part of your .

Your parenting plan or separation agreement has to follow certain rules to make it binding and enforceable under the law. This means your agreement is made in a way that allows the court to order you or your partner to do what the agreement says, if either of you stop following it.

Talking to your partner may not be an option where there is a history of partner abuse

Hide this website