2. Update your court file

What happens at a first court date in my family law court case?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

2. Update your court file

Make sure that all of your documents, including Form 6B: Affidavit of Service, are in your continuing record and that you have updated the table of contents.

The continuing record is your court file that has all the important documents in your case.

Rule 9: Continuing record of the Family Law Rules says that you must file every document in your case in a continuing record so the judge can find it easily when it's needed.

The continuing record has 2 parts:

  • The endorsement volume has all the endorsements and court orders the judge made in your case. An endorsement is the written directions a judge gives you and your partner that says what you must do or not do.
  • The documents volume has most of the documents you and your partner file in your case. For example, your Applications, Answers, Replies, affidavits of service, financial statements, motions, and affidavits.

Documents are added to the continuing record after they are served on the other person.

When you add a document to the continuing record, you also have to update the table of contents by listing each document you're filing.

Court staff can help you figure out where each document goes in the continuing record.

Make sure you keep a copy of every document you and your partner fill out. This allows you to keep track of your case yourself. You won't have to go to the court to ask the court clerk to get your file if you need to check something.

You May Also Need

Reviewed: July 31, 2017

Parlez Français