2. Fill out your court forms to start the motion
Question & AnswerHow do I bring a motion to change spousal support?
You can get family law court forms from the courthouse or online. They are available in French and English.
You need to fill out:
- Form 15: Motion to Change, where you list the orders you want the court to make.
- Form 25: Draft Order, where you write the orders you want the court to make. Be specific about which terms of the existing order you're asking to change.
- Form 13: Financial Statement, where you give the court information about your finances such as the amount of your income, living expenses, and and .
- Form 13A: Certificate of Financial Disclosure, where you list all the documents that prove what you said in your .
- Support Deduction Order Information Form.
- Support Deduction Order.
- Confirmation of Assignment form, if you don't know whether your support payments are or was assigned to a social services agency. This means the payments go through an agency such as Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program.
- Statement of Arrears Form, that gives information about the amount of unpaid support.
- Updated table of contents, that lists the documents you're adding to your continuing record.
Give your forms to the court
Once you have filled out your forms, you must have your by the court. This means the signs, dates, applies the court seal to your , and gives you a court number.
You will also get 2 copies of Form 8.0.1: Automatic Order. This order tells you what you must do next. For example, it says that you must:
- Serve your partner with your documents and a copy of the Automatic Order. See What does serving your documents mean in a family court case?.
- Attend a (MIP) session within 45 days, if you have not already done so. See What is the Mandatory Information Program in my family court case?
- Serve and a financial statement with supporting documents, if there are support issues. See What is a financial statement? What documents do I have to give my partner?
If you don't do these things before your , the judge might say you “have not complied”. This means you did not follow the order. You may have to pay your partner's legal costs.
Rule 1.1 Electronic filing and issuance of documents tells you how to issue your documents.
You can now submit most family law forms and supporting documents online, including a motion to change. For more information, read the question How do I file court forms for my family law case online?
If you can't use the online service or if you don't want to file your forms or documents online, you can file them in person at the same level of court that made your . So, if the Superior Court of Justice made the order, you must go back to a Superior Court of Justice.