3. Find someone to perform the marriage ceremony

Find services

Family Law - Marriage and common‑law relationships
Learn more about this topic
Government of Ontario
South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario (SALCO)
Justice for Children and Youth

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

How do we get married in Ontario?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

3. Find someone to perform the marriage ceremony

Your marriage ceremony can be a religious ceremony or civil ceremony. But, you have to make sure that the person who performs the ceremony is legally able to marry you and your partner.

Couples usually decide what type of ceremony they want before they look for someone to perform the ceremony. For example, they might decide that it is important for them to be married in their local church, synagogue, temple, or mosque.

In a religious ceremony, a recognized religious official performs the ceremony which is usually in a place of worship. You can look online for a list of people who are recognized.

In a civil marriage, a judge, justice of the peace, or authorized municipal clerk performs the ceremony, often at a local municipal office, city hall, or courthouse. Look online for your nearest city hall, town hall, or municipal office.

When you're married by a judge or justice of the peace, you must pay a fee of $75 by certified cheque or money order, payable to the Minister of Finance. This, along with the completed Statement of Marriage, will be sent to the Registrar General by the judge or justice of the peace to register your marriage. 

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Government of Ontario
Reviewed: July 31, 2016

Parlez Français