3. Find your closest municipality

Which court do I start my family law case at?
This question has an answer and 3 steps

3. Find your closest municipality

You have to also start your family law court case in a family court that is in the municipality where you or your partner live.

For example, if you're going to court to enforce a separation agreement, you have to go to the Ontario Court of Justice. You then have to find an Ontario Court of Justice that is in the municipality closest to where either you or your partner lives.

But, if your issues are about custody or access, you usually go to the court in the municipality where your child lives.

The Ontario government has a list of all municipalities. If you’re still not sure which court to go to, call the family courthouse in your municipality to ask.

You May Also Need

Reviewed: July 31, 2017

Parlez Français