3. Get a temporary order

What is an emergency or ex parte motion in family law and what happens at one?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

3. Get a temporary order

The judge makes a decision based only on your written documents. And, there are usually no witnesses on a motion.

This means you can only refer to the evidence in your affidavit or other documents you filed with the court. So it's very important to include all the evidence you have in your affidavits.

If your motion is successful, you get a temporary order. The order applies for a very short period of time, usually not more than 14 days. This is because the judge only heard your evidence when deciding and needs to hear from your partner.

Serve your partner

You must serve your partner with the temporary order and your documents as soon as possible after the judge makes a decision.

Rule 6: Service of documents tells you how to serve your documents. There is also a guide on how to serve documents.

If you fear for your safety, you can ask the court clerk to arrange for your documents to be served on your partner.

Whoever serves the documents on your partner must fill out Form 6B: Affidavit of Service. In it, they say when, where, and how they served your partner. The form proves that your partner got a copy of your documents and knows that they have to respond to them.

File your documents

You need to go back to the courthouse once your partner has been served, to file your documents and Form 6B: Affidavit of Service in your continuing record. You do this at the court counter, with the help of the court clerk.

There is a guide on how to file documents.

The continuing record is your court file that has all the important documents in your case. When you add a document to the continuing record, you also have to update the table of contents by listing each document you're filing.

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: July 1, 2018

Parlez Français