3. Get your documents in order


Make sure your passport and your child's passport have not expired.

If your child is under 16 years old and you have to apply for a passport for them, an application form and instructions are available on the Passport Canada website.

Only a parent with custody can apply for a passport for their child under 16 years of age. Usually, the other parent also has to sign the application form.

Other documents

It's a good idea to travel with copies of any agreements or court orders on:

  • , which used to be called
  • , which used to be called
  • mobility, which means moving with the child

You may not be asked for these documents at the border. But you should be prepared that border officials might ask for them.

It's best if you have copies of your documents certified by a notary public, but you don't have to. A notary public is a person who is able to compare the original document to the copy and say that it is a true copy.

Hide this website