3. Go to court to change support

Find services

Family Law - Separation and divorce
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Ministry of the Attorney General
Ministry of the Attorney General

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

How do I change my court order?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

3. Go to court to change support

If you and your partner cannot agree on changing the support terms in your court order even with the help of a family law professional, or if this is not the right option for you, you can go to court and bring a motion to change.

Going to court can be a complicated process and it can take a lot of time. It can be stressful and expensive, but it is sometimes necessary to decide your issues. This family law court process flowchart explains each step in a family law court case.

You ask a judge to change support by bringing a motion to change child support or a motion to change spousal support. A motion to change is the name of the court process used to ask a judge to make the changes.

You can talk to a lawyer who can explain your responsibilities under the existing order. A lawyer can also tell you if facts exist that may convince a judge that the order should be changed or ended and help you through the process.

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case, some lawyers will provide "unbundled" or "limited scope" services. This means you pay them to help you with part of your case.

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer at all, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: September 1, 2020

Parlez Français