3. Take important things with you

Can I take my child with me when I leave my abusive partner?
This question has an answer and 3 steps

3. Take important things with you

When you leave, try to take these things with you:

  • clothes for a few days, for you and your children
  • your children's favourite toys or blankets
  • things like toothpaste, diapers, and soap
  • money and keys
  • any medication you or your children need
  • any proof of the abuse, such as photos, threatening notes, recorded telephone messages, or your diary
  • names and badge numbers of police officers you have called in the past

Try to take originals of important documents like:

  • documents that prove who you and your children are, for example, birth certificates, health cards, passports, immigration documents, your driver's licence, and credit cards
  • documents from family and criminal court, such as bail conditions, a restraining order, or a custody and access order
  • other documents, such as the deed for your house or lease for your apartment, pay stubs, social assistance cheque stubs, your Social Insurance card, and marriage certificate

If you can't take originals of any documents, try to make copies instead.

You May Also Need

CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario/Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Peel Committee Against Woman Abuse (This resource is written for women in abusive relationships but might help anyone in an abusive relationship.)
Reviewed: August 31, 2017

Parlez Français