3. Take your forms to court

Find services

Family Law - Child support

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

I haven't paid child support. How do I get a refraining order?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

3. Take your forms to court

After you serve the Family Responsibility Office (FRO), take your original documents to the courthouse and file them. You file your documents at the court counter with the help of the court clerk. There is a guide on how to file documents.

You must file your documents at least four days before your court date. If you have less than four days, make sure you file your documents as soon as possible.

You need to file your:

Your court file is called the continuing record. It has all the important documents in your case that you want the judge to look at.

The continuing record has 2 parts:

  • The endorsement volume has all the endorsements and court orders the judge made in your case. An endorsement is the written directions a judge gives you and your partner that says what you must do or not do.
  • The documents volume has most of the documents you and your partner file in your case. For example, your Applications, Answers, Replies, affidavits of service, financial statements, motions, and affidavits.

When you add a document to the continuing record, you also have to update the table of contents by listing each document you're filing. Court staff can help you make a continuing record and may help you figure out where a document goes.

If you have a separation agreement, you may not have a continuing record yet. In that case, the court may ask you to create one.

You May Also Need

Reviewed: August 31, 2017

Parlez Français