4. Go to court to end child support

When does child support end? How do I end it?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

4. Go to court to end child support

If you and your partner can't agree to end child support, you can go to court and ask a judge to decide. You do this by bringing a motion to change.

Going to court can be a complicated process and it can take a lot of time. It can be stressful and expensive, but it is sometimes necessary to decide your issues. This family law court process flowchart explains each step in a family law court case.

A motion to change is the name of the court process used to ask a judge to make changes to support in your separation agreement or court order.

You have to tell the judge why you think your child is not a dependent. For example:

  • Your child has finished school, married, or moved out on their own.
  • Your child has a full-time job.
  • Your child is living with the payor parent or a different person.

You can talk to a lawyer who can tell you if facts exist that may convince a judge that your separation agreement or court order should be ended and help you through the process.

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case, some lawyers will provide "unbundled services" or "limited scope retainer" services. This means you pay them to help you with part of your case.

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer at all, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: August 31, 2017

Parlez Français