5. Get a response
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Government of Ontario
Ministry of the Attorney General
How do I file court forms for my family law case online?
5. Get a response
The response you get from the court depends on the family forms you filed online.
Joint or simple divorce forms
If you file your joint or simple divorce application on a business day between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., you get an email from the court the same day. If you file your application outside regular business hours, you get an email the next business day.
The email from the court will have:
- your divorce application with a court seal, which means your application has been issued by the court
- the date your application was issued
- a court file number
- the court location where your divorce application was filed
Don't delete the email. You should also print a copy or take a screenshot for your records.
Other family court documents
After you submit your documents online, you get an email to confirm that your documents have been submitted, but not yet filed with the court. Don't delete the email. You should also print a copy or take a screenshot for your records.
Within 5 business days you find out if your documents have been accepted or rejected.
If your documents are:
- accepted, you get an email confirming your documents have been filed
- rejected, you get an email saying your documents haven't been filed, the reasons why they were rejected, and that any fees you paid will be refunded
If your documents are rejected, you can either:
- correct or fix all the things that led to your documents being rejected and then resubmit your corrected documents online if the deadline to submit them is more than 5 business days away, or
- file your documents in-person or, if allowed by the court, by email
If you don't hear from the court within 5 days, check with them to make sure your documents were submitted successfully.
If you have any questions about your specific case, contact call the court.
You May Also Need
Reviewed: August 18, 2020