5. Give proof of service

What does serving your documents mean in a family law court case?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

5. Give proof of service

You must give the court proof that your partner was served with your documents.

You do this by having whoever served the documents on your partner fill out Form 6B: Affidavit of Service. This can be done at the court counter, with the help of the court clerk.

This form proves that your partner got a copy of your documents and knows that they have to respond to them.

Form 6B asks for:

  • The name of the person who served the documents
  • The name of the person or agency that was served
  • When the documents were served - the day, month, and year
  • Where the documents were served - house number, apartment number, street name, city, and province
  • What documents were served - Application, Answer, Reply, notice of motion, etc.
  • How the documents were served - personally, at place of residence, by regular mail, courier, or fax

This form must be sworn or affirmed. This means the person signing it is promising that the information in it is true. It is against the law to not tell the truth when swearing or affirming an affidavit.

The person must sign Form 6B in front of a commissioner for taking affidavits. There are commissioners for taking affidavits at the family courthouse.

File your Affidavit

Form 6B: Affidavit of Service then has to be filed with the court in your continuing record. You do this at the court counter, with the help of the court clerk.

There is a guide on how to file documents.

The continuing record is your court file that has all the important documents in your case. When you add a document to the continuing record, you also have to update the table of contents by listing each document you're filing.

You May Also Need

Reviewed: July 31, 2017

Parlez Français