End payments through the FRO

How does the Family Responsibility Office enforce spousal support?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

End payments through the FRO

Withdraw your case

If you and your partner agree that you don't want the Family Responsibility Office (FRO) to handle your payments anymore, you must both fill out a Notice of Withdrawal Form.

In some cases, the partner receiving support can do this without the support payor's consent by filling out a Notice by Support Recipient of Unilateral Withdrawal Form. For example where the support payor is paying the partner receiving support directly.

If spousal support payments go through Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, a caseworker must also agree to withdraw the case. If they don't agree, you must go to court to have your support agreement or order changed.

If you later decide to re-register with the FRO, you fill out a Notice of Re-Filing Form. There is a $50 re-filing fee. And, if you want the FRO to enforce any payments that were missed since your case was closed, you need to fill out a Statement of Arrears Form. This form tells the FRO about the amount of unpaid spousal support.

End support payments

If you're paying spousal support and think payments should end, fill out the Application to Discontinue Enforcement of Ongoing Support and tell the FRO why you think it should end. The FRO will then contact your partner.

If your partner...

Then the FRO…

doesn't agree that spousal support should end,

will continue enforcing the separation agreement or court order.

doesn't respond to the FRO,

may stop enforcing payments.

doesn't respond to the FRO but later tells the FRO that payments should not have ended,

may start enforcing payments again.

agrees in writing to end support,

will tell you in writing that you can stop making support payments.

The FRO can't change any of the terms in your separation agreement or court order. They only try to make sure support is being paid. So if your partner doesn't agree to end support, or if you want to change the amount of support, you have to go to court.

You May Also Need

The Family Responsibility Office
Family Responsibility Office
Reviewed: August 19, 2020

Parlez Français