Get help from the FRO

Find services

Family Law - Child support
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Ministry of the Attorney General

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

How does the FRO enforce child support?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

Get help from the FRO

You receive support

If you haven't received a support payment in more than 30 days and your separation agreement or court order is being enforced by the Family Responsibility Office (FRO), contact them right away.

You pay support

If you don't make your child support payments, the FRO can:

  • Take money from your bank accounts.
  • Take money from your retirement savings.
  • Take money from your employment insurance benefits, income tax rebates, and some government payments.
  • Take money from your wages or other income.
  • Suspend your driver's licence.
  • Suspend your Canadian passport.
  • Register the support order as a "charge" against your property. This means you can't sell it or transfer ownership until you pay any support owing.
  • Report you to the credit bureau which may damage your credit rating.
  • Take any Ontario lottery prize over $1,000.
  • Request information about your employment, finances, and address from any person or public body.
  • Take your employer to court for not following a Support Deduction Order.
  • Start a default hearing. At the hearing, you have to explain to a judge why you are behind in payments. This may result in up to 180 days in jail.

So, if you fall behind in payments, it's important to contact the FRO as soon as you can.

The FRO can help you work out a voluntary payment plan where you agree to a payment schedule you can afford. The FRO usually requires that you make your monthly support payments plus an additional amount toward the support owing.

If you're bankrupt, you still owe support. The FRO will be a creditor with a claim against your estate. They will enforce the ongoing support after you declare bankruptcy.

If you haven't made a support payment in the last 6 months and the FRO has done everything to locate you, they may post personal information about you on This is a website that asks the public’s help to find people who owe support and have gone missing.

You May Also Need

Family Responsibility Office
Reviewed: August 19, 2020

Parlez Français