Register with the FRO

How does the Family Responsibility Office enforce spousal support?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

Register with the FRO

The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) enforces spousal support payments in a:

They cannot enforce verbal agreements.

You have a court order

If you have a court order, the court automatically sends the order, the Support Deduction Order Information Form, and the Support Deduction Order to the FRO.

The FRO writes to the support payor's employer or any other place where they receive income. The FRO tells the employer to deduct spousal support from the payor's cheque and send it to the FRO. The FRO then sends the money to the partner receiving support.

You have a separation agreement

Some people make a separation agreement without going to court and later need help enforcing it.

To get the FRO to enforce your separation agreement, you must:

  1. Attach your most current separation agreement to a Form 26B: Affidavit for Filing Domestic Contract or Paternity Agreement.
  2. Take it to the local courthouse. You can file your agreement only at the Ontario Court of Justice or the Family Court branch of the Superior Court of Justice. You cannot file your agreement at other locations of the Superior Court of Justice.
  3. Register it with the FRO.

You can also now file most family law forms and documents for a family court case online, including a separation agreement for the court to enforce. For more information, read the question How do I file court forms for my family law case online? If you're not allowed to, or don't want to file your documents online, then you have to file them in person at the courthouse.

You May Also Need

The Family Responsibility Office
Reviewed: August 19, 2020

Parlez Français