2. Ask for a bilingual proceeding

Can I have my civil trial in French?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

2. Ask for a bilingual proceeding

You must ask for bilingual proceedings. Depending on the type of proceeding and the court, this can be by:

  • filing or issuing your first document in French, for example, your Statement of Claim, Statement of Defence, Application, Answer, Plaintiff's Claim, or Defence
  • filing a requisition form or a written statement, and serving it on all parties no later than 7 days before the first hearing, or if you're the applicant, at the time the application is started
  • making an oral statement to the court during an appearance asking that proceedings be in French

You May Also Need

Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: November 26, 2018

Parlez Français