Can I have my family law trial in French?
Question & AnswerCan I have my family law trial in French?
2. Ask for bilingual proceedings
You must ask for bilingual family law proceedings. When you should ask depends on the type of proceeding and the court. You could:
- file and issue your Application in French, if you’re the applicant
- file your Answer in French, if you’re the respondent
- ask the court for bilingual proceedings at a court appearance
- file a requisition form or a written statement saying you want bilingual proceedings
When you file a requisition form asking for bilingual proceedings, you must serve it on all parties. This must happen no later than 7 days before the first hearing, unless you’re the applicant. If you’re the applicant, you must serve the requisition form when your file your application.