3. Understand your options

Depending on which of your rights were violated, you may have to submit a complaint or application to one or more of the following:

  • The Consent and Capacity Board: The Board handles issues to do with whether you're able to make decisions about your health care and being a patient in a .
  • The Information and Privacy Commissioner: The Commissioner handles issues to do with your privacy and your health .
  • A professional organization: All health-care providers belong to professional organizations. So if a  violated your rights, you can complain to the professional organization they belong to.

For example, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario handles issues to do with the way your medical doctor treated you or handled your situation. And the College of Nurses of Ontario handles complaints about nurses.

For more information about these options, see Can I appeal a decision about my mental health?.

Hide this website