5. Get legal advice

You cannot appeal a Form 1 order. But you're allowed to contact a lawyer for advice at any time while you're being assessed.

If you want to speak to a lawyer, the staff at the facility must allow you to use a private phone or allow you to speak to a lawyer privately.

For help finding a lawyer, you can contact the Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office (PPAO).

If you have a low income, you may be able to get help from Legal Aid Ontario and get a legal aid certificate. You can reach Legal Aid Ontario at 1-800-668-8258.

Law Society Referral Service

The Law Society of Ontario (LSO) has the Law Society Referral Service. This online service gives you the name of a lawyer in your area who can advise you for up to 30 minutes for free. You can ask for a lawyer who speaks your language, or a lawyer who accepts legal aid certificates.

If you cannot use the online service, you can call the Law Society of Ontario crisis line at 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255 in Toronto. For example, you can call this number if you're being and don't have access to the internet. The crisis line is available from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Law Society of Ontario Directory

The Law Society of Ontario has a Directory of all lawyers licensed to practice law in Ontario. You can search the directory by name, address or postal code, language, or area of law. You can also search for lawyers that offer unbundled services. This means they agree to help you with part of your case.


JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that can help people find legal services when their income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford legal fees. Their website has a list of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who charge reduced fees based on your income and the size of your family. You must register and pay a small fee to use their services.

Hide this website