Learn more about workers’ compensation

Workers’ compensation benefits are payments for injuries or diseases that are related to the work you were doing. Workers' compensation is paid by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). The WSIB may also help you return to work with your employer or with another employer.

The WSIB has 3 main types of benefits to help you while you're injured. These are:

  1. Loss of earnings (LOE) – benefits that pay for wages you didn't get because of your injury
  2. Health care benefits – benefits that pay for healthcare costs, like physiotherapy, medication, etc., to help you recover from your injury
  3. Non-economic loss (NEL) – if your injury is serious and permanent, the WSIB may pay you for the impact of your injury. This type of benefit is sometimes called a “permanent impairment benefit”.

Most employers in Ontario must be part of the workers' compensation system and pay into a province-wide insurance fund that is run by the WSIB.

To find out more about WSIB benefits, see the question “What type of worker’s compensation benefits can I get from the WSIB?”

Hide this website