My landlord wants to evict me for illegal acts. What should I do?
Question & AnswerMy landlord wants to evict me for illegal acts. What should I do?
1. Check for problems with the notice
The Board can dismiss your landlord’s case if there are problems with the Form N6 that your landlord gave you. At the hearing, you should tell the Board if:
- the N6 does not give enough details for you to know what the landlord says you did
- the N6 does not name the specific illegal act that the landlord says was committed
- the on the (the date your landlord wants you to move out) is less than the required number of days after you got the notice
The required number of days is
- 14 days if your landlord gave you a Form N5 in the past 6 months
- 10 days if your landlord checked Reason 1 on the N6
- 20 days if the above two points don’t apply