2. Ask for a standard lease

What can I do if my landlord doesn't use the standard lease form?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

2. Ask for a standard lease

If you signed a tenancy agreement that was not on the standard lease form, or if you made a verbal or unwritten agreement with your landlord, you can still ask the landlord to give you a lease on the standard form.

When you make this request in writing, the law gives you certain rights if:

  • your landlord still won’t give you a standard lease, or
  • they give you a standard lease but you don’t want to sign it.

These rights are explained in Steps 3 and 4.

You get these rights only if you made a tenancy agreement on or after April 30, 2018.  And you get these rights only the first time you make this written request about the same rental unit.

You May Also Need

Ministry of Housing
Reviewed: May 8, 2018

Parlez Français