2. Put all the terms in writing

When you are applying to rent a place, you and the landlord might discuss repairs, upgrades, or agreements about certain costs. You should make sure these things are written in your rental agreement.

Make sure your agreement covers enough details so there won't be any disagreements later. This can include things like:

  • who pays for utilities
  • if parking is included
  • the length of your
  • the amount of rent you will pay and if there are any discounts or penalties
  • the date you can move in
  • what other facilities are included, such as a gym or a storage locker
  • if your landlord provides any services such as cleaning your unit

If your agreement is not in writing, make notes about what you and your landlord talked about and agreed on.

Standard Lease

The standard lease form has clear places to put all of the details listed above. The standard lease form is on the Ministry of Housing website.

You can also add pages for any “additional terms” you and your landlord agree to. Some landlords may have many additional terms. The additional terms can't go against any of the standard terms on the form. They also can't go against what is allowed by the Residential Tenancies Act or the Human Rights Code.

Landlords of most types of rental units have to use the government's standard lease form for agreements made on or after April 30, 2018.

You can't force the landlord to use the standard lease form. But the law gives you certain rights if they don't.

Places that do not have to use the standard lease include:

  • places rented for a business
  • public or
  • mobile homes or land lease homes
  • housing co-ops
  • subletting
  • care homes, for example, retirement homes

Care Homes

If you are renting in a , the landlord must give you a Care Home Information Package (CHIP) before you sign the tenancy agreement. The CHIP includes information about the home and the cost of meals and services.

The tenancy agreement must say you have the right to cancel the agreement within 5 days after you sign it.

If you are renting a care home unit and the landlord didn't give you a written tenancy agreement that lists what services and meals you are getting and the charges for them, you can apply to the (LTB). The LTB can the landlord to give back some of your rent.

If the landlord has not given you the Care Home Information Package, they are not allowed to raise your rent or the charges for meals or care services until they give you the CHIP.

Hide this website