3. Call a government office

Find services

Housing Law - Paying rent
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA)
Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

Can I withhold rent to get my landlord to do something?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

3. Call a government office

If your landlord is not following the law or respecting your rights, you can call the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (IEU) at 1-888-772-9277.

For repair and maintenance problems, you can call your local property standards or bylaw department, or your town or city hall, municipal office, or local councillor. Many cities, towns, and other municipalities have inspectors who can order your landlord to make repairs or to clean up your building.

If there are no local property standards bylaws where you live, you can call the RHEU for help with repair problems.

You May Also Need

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Reviewed: October 31, 2017

Parlez Français