Can I come back for some of my things after moving day?

3. Get your landlord to follow the law

If your landlord takes or keeps your belongings without following the law, you can call the Ontario government's Rental Housing Enforcement Unit (RHEU) at 1-888-772-9277 (toll-free) or 416-585-7214.

If the RHEU thinks that your landlord may not be following the law, they may contact your landlord to discuss it. Sometimes, this can solve the problem. In serious cases, the RHEU may decide to lay charges against your landlord.

Or, you can call the police non-emergency number. But often police officers will not get involved in this kind of situation.

Getting a lawyer or legal aid clinic to contact your landlord can also solve the problem sometimes.

Hide this website