4. Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board

Find services

Housing Law - Privacy and harassment
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations

Was this information helpful?

Can I change my lock or add a new lock?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

4. Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board

If your landlord does not fix the problem, you can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Board is like a special court that decides disputes between tenants and landlords.

Fill out the T6

You must apply within one year of when the problem happened.

When you apply, the Board will schedule a hearing where you and your landlord can each explain the situation to a member of the Board.

At the hearing, it is up to you to convince the Board member about the problem. It is very important to bring evidence to your hearing, for example, witnesses, photos, audio or video recordings, inspectors' reports, work orders, letters, notes, or anything else that can help you prove your case to the Board member.

You May Also Need

Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
Reviewed: August 31, 2015

Parlez Français