4. Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board

Find services

Housing Law - Repairs and maintenance

Was this information helpful?

Tell us why or why not

By submitting this form, you accept the Privacy statement.

Who is responsible for repairs and maintenance?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

4. Apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board

If your landlord does not fix the problem, you can apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Board is like a special court that decides disputes between tenants and landlords.

Fill out the T6

When you apply to the Board, the Board will schedule a hearing where you and your landlord can each explain the problem to a member of the Board. Before the hearing, you and your landlord can try to settle your problems yourselves or with the help of a Board employee.

At the hearing, it is up to you to convince the Board member about the problem. It is very important to bring evidence to your hearing, for example, witnesses, photos, audio or video recordings, inspectors' reports, work orders, letters, notes, or anything else that can help you prove your case to the Board member.

You May Also Need

Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
Reviewed: August 31, 2015

Parlez Français