4. Defend yourself if the landlord demands payment

If you move out without giving proper notice, your landlord might try to get you to pay rent for some time after you moved. You might get a letter or a phone call from the landlord, a lawyer, a paralegal, or a collection agency. Or you might get a of hearing if the landlord decides to sue you at the (LTB).

You might not agree with the amount your landlord is asking you to pay. If you have followed the previous steps, you might have information to help you defend yourself. For example, the landlord might be asking for rent for the time after your legally ended or a new tenant moved in. Or you might be able to show that your landlord didn't try very hard to find a new tenant.

If a collection agency has contacted you, learn about your rights and the rules the collection agency must follow.

If your landlord sues you at the Landlord and Tenant Board

Your landlord can sue you at the LTB if it's been less than one year since you moved out.

Your landlord must send you a Notice of Hearing and a copy of the completed Form L10: Application to Collect Money a Former Tenant Owes at least 30 days before your hearing date.

Read these documents carefully. You can use the LTB's Form L10 Checklist to check for mistakes in the Form L10. If you find a mistake, you should mention it at your LTB hearing.

You must give your landlord and the LTB copies of any you want to use at your hearing at least 7 days before the hearing date. For example, you might want to send them copies of your rent receipts and your written notice.

Hide this website