What if I already paid an illegal charge or rent increase?

4. Give your application to the Board

When your form is completed, you have to file it with the Board.

There is a filing fee of $53. But if you are on social assistance or other low income, you can ask the Board not to charge you the fee. To do this, you have to fill out a “Fee Waiver Request” form. You can ask the Board to send you this form, or download it from the Board's website.

You can file your application in a number of ways:

In person:  If you live near a Board regional office or a ServiceOntario Centre, you can hand in your application in person. You can pay the filing fee by cash, credit card, debit card, certified cheque or money order (certified cheques and money orders must be made payable to the Minister of Finance). The Board will not accept an ordinary uncertified cheque.

The Board will schedule a hearing and give you a Notice of Hearing package. This has a copy of your application and information about the time and place of the hearing. The Board will mail a copy of this package to your landlord.

By mail or fax:  You can file your application by mail or fax as well. To pay the fee, you will need to give the Board your credit card information on the application form.

The Board will usually mail copies of the Notice of Hearing package to you and your landlord. But the Board might require you to deliver it to your landlord.

You should start preparing for the hearing as soon as possible. It is important to be fully prepared for your hearing. You only get one chance. If you are not prepared or are missing important evidence, The Board probably won't let you come back another day.

Hide this website