What if I already paid an illegal charge or rent increase?
Question & AnswerWhat if I already paid an illegal charge or rent increase?
4. Give your application to the LTB
When your form is completed, you have to file it with the LTB.
There is a filing fee of $53. But if you are on social assistance or other low income, you can ask the LTB not to charge you the fee. To do this, you have to fill out a “Fee Waiver Request” form. You can ask the LTB to send you this form, or download it from the LTB's website.
You can file your application in a number of ways:
- In person: If you live near a ServiceOntario Centre, you can hand in your application in person. You can pay the filing fee by cash, credit card, debit card, certified cheque or money order (certified cheques and money orders must be made payable to the Minister of Finance). The LTB will not accept an ordinary uncertified cheque.
- By mail: You can file your application by mail. To pay the fee, you will need to give the LTB your credit card information on the application form.
- By email: You can file your application by email. You'll need to pay the fee online before you email your application, unless you are using a fee waiver. If you are using a fee waiver, attach it to your email with your application.
- By fax: You can file your application by fax at 1-833-610-2242 or 416-326-6455. Include your fee waiver in your fax if you have one. If you need to pay a fee, call the LTB at 1-888-332-3234 after you send your fax.
After you file your application, the LTB will schedule a hearing and send you a Notice of Hearing package. The package has a copy of your application and information about the time and place of the hearing. Most hearings are held by Zoom. The LTB will send a copy of this package to your landlord.
It's important to be fully prepared for your hearing so you should start as soon as possible. You only get one chance to tell your side of the story. If you are not prepared or are missing important , the LTB probably won't let you come back another day.