How can I get my landlord to use the standard lease form?

4. If you agreed to a fixed term, decide if you want to end it early

After you ask in writing for a standard , you also might get the right to move out early.  If you originally agreed to a fixed , such as a year, you don't have to stay for the whole term.

If the landlord replies to your written request by giving you a standard lease, you can choose not to sign it and instead give 60 days' as if you had a month-to-month tenancy. You must give the notice within 30 days after the landlord gives you the lease.

You can also give this notice if it has been more than 21 days since your written request and your landlord still hasn't given you a standard lease.

If you do not want to move out, you can choose to:

  • sign the standard lease if your landlord gave you one, or
  • do nothing, which means that you stay with the original agreement you made with the landlord.
Hide this website