My landlord wants to evict me for serious damage. What should I do?
Question & AnswerMy landlord wants to evict me for serious damage. What should I do?
5. Show other reasons the LTB should not evict you
The LTB does not have to you, even if they agree that you caused the damage or have used the place improperly.
In some cases, the LTB must let you stay. This applies if the LTB member agrees that your landlord:
- has seriously failed to follow the law or the agreement, or
- is trying to evict you because you did something to protect your legal rights or because you have children
Or the LTB can give you more time to move out, or refuse to evict you at all, because of your personal situation. Some reasons to delay or refuse your eviction are:
- you have a mental or physical
- you are a single parent
- you have cultural connections to your neighbourhood
- you will have a hard time finding an affordable place to live