5. Take legal action

Find services

Housing Law - Laws that protect tenants
Learn more about this topic
CLEO (Community Legal Education Ontario / Éducation juridique communautaire Ontario)
Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations
The Human Rights Legal Support Centre (HRLSC)

Was this information helpful?

My landlord is harassing me. What can I do?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

5. Take legal action

If the problem does not stop or is very severe, you might need to take further action.

If the situation is urgent or you feel unsafe, you might want to call the police.

Otherwise, you can file an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Board can order the landlord to stop the harassment and to pay for violating your rights.

If the situation involves discrimination, you might have the choice of applying to the Landlord and Tenant Board or to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

The Human Rights Legal Support Centre has an online tool to help you figure out if you have the option of applying to the Human Rights Tribunal. The Support Centre can then help you choose, and help you apply to the Tribunal if that is what you decide to do.

You May Also Need

Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB)
Human Rights Legal Support Centre (HRLSC)
Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
Reviewed: August 31, 2015

Parlez Français