4. Take legal action

If your landlord won't your disability, you might have to take legal action.

Some cases of discrimination can be decided by the (LTB). In other situations, you might have to take your case to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

Landlord and Tenant Board

If the solution you want is something that the LTB can order, you can file an to the LTB. For example, the accommodation you want might be for the landlord to repair something that's already there, like a ramp or an automatic door.

Or the might be related to a case your landlord is bringing to the LTB. For example, your landlord might be trying to you for a reason related to your . You might want to talk about the discrimination at the hearing of the landlord's case.

The LTB has to consider the Human Rights Code when making decisions about eviction, repairs, or anything else.

Human Rights Tribunal

In most situations where you are experiencing discrimination, you can file an application to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. This includes when a landlord is not accommodating your disability.

If a landlord won't rent to you or you can't rent a place because the landlord won't accommodate your disability, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario is usually the right place to have your case considered.

In other cases, you can choose between the Human Rights Tribunal or the LTB. The Human Rights Legal Support Centre can help you choose the best option and help you apply to the if that is what you decide to do.

Hide this website