1. Get your PR card

You can now also apply for a or renew or replace your card online through IRCC's Permanent Residence Portal.

If you've recently become a , Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will mail your permanent resident (PR) card to you. You don't need to apply for it.

Make sure they have your current address. If you move, you can use IRCC's address notification tool to give them your address.

When you don’t have a valid card

You don't lose your status as a permanent resident only because your card expires or you lose it.

But if you're in Canada, you can apply for a new card if, for example:

  • your card has expired or will expire in less than 9 months
  • your card is lost, stolen, or damaged

You can also apply for a card if:

  • you never got one, and
  • it's been 180 days (about 6 months) since you became a permanent resident.

The application package includes:

You can check online to see how long it's taking to process an application.

Follow these steps to open and save an IRCC form in PDF format, using Adobe Acrobat Reader for both PC and Mac users. You can't open the forms on your phone or tablet.

Hide this website