1. Learn about bringing parents and grandparents to Canada

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is not accepting applications to sponsor parents or grandparents at this time.

Your parents or grandparents may be able to apply for a Super Visa to come to Canada as visitors. The Super Visa is a multiple entry visa that is good for 10 years. Starting July 4, 2022, It lets parents and grandparents stay for up to 5 years each time they visit, with the option to extend their stay for 5 more years while in Canada. This means Super Visa holders might be able to stay in Canada for up to 7 consecutive years.

The Super Visa does not make your parents or grandparents permanent residents.

Read more in Which relatives can I sponsor to become permanent residents?

Applying for a Super Visa to visit Canada

Your parents or grandparents must apply from outside Canada for a Super Visa. To be eligible for a Super Visa they must meet all the conditions. For example, they must:

When they apply, they need:

  • a signed letter of invitation from you, and
  • a copy of the document that proves your Canadian citizenship or status.

In the letter of invitation, you must:

  • promise to support your parents or grandparents financially while they're visiting Canada
  • give information about how many people are in your household and who they are

It's also a good idea to talk about the personal and financial connections your parents or grandparents have in their country. These can show that they have a reason to return and not stay in Canada longer than they're supposed to. For example, in their country, they might own a home, have a business, or have people who depend on them.

Financial support

With the letter, you must include proof of your income, for example:

  • your most recent Notice of Assessment from the (CRA)
  • a Proof of Income Statement from the CRA if you don't have a Notice, but you must explain why
  • pay stubs or a letter from your employer to show how much money you make and how long you've been at your job
  • bank statements

IRCC uses this information to decide if you meet the minimum necessary income requirements.

Medical insurance

To get a Super Visa, your parents or grandparents must also show that they have insurance to cover any medical costs they might have while in Canada. They won't be covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

The medical insurance must:

  • be from a Canadian insurance company
  • cover them for at least one year from the date they arrive in Canada
  • provide coverage worth at least $100,000

Your parents or grandparents must show proof that they've bought and paid for the insurance.

IRCC’s decision

Even if your parents or grandparents include everything that's required when they apply, IRCC can refuse their application. For example, they may do this if they think that your parents or grandparents will stay in Canada longer than the Super Visa allows.

Hide this website