Can I sponsor my spouse or partner who’s living outside Canada?
Question & AnswerCan I sponsor my spouse or partner who’s living outside Canada?
1. Learn how a past sponsorship can affect your right to sponsor
You cannot sponsor a or partner if:
- you were sponsored by a former partner as a spouse or partner, and
- you became a less than 5 years ago.
You cannot sponsor your current partner if:
- you sponsored a former spouse or partner, and
- it's been less than 3 years since that person became a permanent resident.
There are other reasons why a sponsorship will be refused, for example:
- if the spouse being sponsored is under 18 years old
- if the marriage ceremony was done when one or both of the spouses were not physically present, which is also called marriage by proxy
If either of the situations above apply to you, you need to get legal advice.