I’m making an H&C application. What evidence do I need?

2. Ask for reports and records

You might be able to get reports or records that support your .

Examples of reports and records

The types of reports and records that could be helpful will depend on your situation.

Health information

Medical reports that might be helpful include:

  • reports of any injuries or trauma that relate to family violence
  • a diagnosis and treatment plan for any medical condition that you could not get adequate care for if you were forced to leave Canada
  • proof of a medical condition, such as having HIV-positive status, that would cause you to be discriminated against

Psychological assessments could explain:

  • a child's special learning needs
  • how being forced to leave Canada would affect a child, such as the impact of returning to a country where they suffered trauma

Hospital records might show that someone was treated for:

  • a medical condition
  • injuries related to family violence

Police and court documents

Police incident reports can show, for example, when the police were involved because of family violence.

Court records can show things like criminal charges against an abuser, or family court applications and hearings.

School reports

Progress reports from schools or training programs can show when you or your child went to school, what you studied, and how well you did.

Financial information

Financial records that you might include are bank statements, T4 statements, Notices of Assessment from the , and other documents that show the value of things that you own.

Asking for reports or records

If you want to get a report from an expert, such as a doctor or psychologist, a lawyer may be able to help you do this. A lawyer can explain what information would be relevant and helpful to you. This can make it easier for an expert to write the report.

Hide this website