2. Learn about sponsoring your brothers and sisters

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) considers a person to be your brother or sister if you have the same biological or adoptive mother or father.

You can sponsor your brother or sister only if:

  • they're under 18 years of age
  • they don't have a or
  • both their mother and father have died

You need to have proof that both parents are dead. It's not enough to show that no one knows where they are.

Coming with your parents

If you’re able to sponsor your parents, your brother or sister might be able to come with them as what's called an “accompanying dependant”. But this can happen only if they can qualify as a of your parents. 

Hide this website