2. Learn when you can be stopped from entering or forced to leave Canada

Whether you're depends on:

  • what crime or other activities you were involved with, and
  • the immigration status that you have.

Step 1 described the different types of crimes and other activities that can affect whether you can enter or stay in Canada.

Permanent residents and foreign nationals

If you're a or a , you will not be allowed to enter Canada if:

  • you committed a ,
  • you were involved in organized crime, or
  • you're a security threat.

Permanent residents can't be for regular crimes.

If you're a foreign national, a regular crime can make you inadmissible if:

  • you committed an offence outside Canada that's an or in Canada, such as theft, assault, or dangerous driving, or
  • you committed a regulatory offence when entering Canada, such as breaking the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or breaking the Firearms Act because you had an illegal gun.

A foreign national can be deported for regular crimes, serious crimes, and organized crimes committed outside Canada.

Type of crime Permanent residents Foreign nationals
Regular crimes Can't be removed from Canada. Can be removed from Canada.
Serious crimes Can be removed from Canada. Can be removed from Canada.
Organized crimes Can be removed from Canada. Can be removed from Canada.

Convention refugees and protected persons

Under international human rights law, the Canadian government must not deport a or to a place where they could be persecuted. But the government can deport them if they're a danger to Canada. The process for doing this is called a danger opinion.

 If you're a protected person or a Convention refugee, you could be deported if you're found to be :

  • for a serious crime, or
  • because you're a security threat, were involved in organized crime, or abused human or international rights.

As well as being found inadmissible, the government must also believe that you're a danger to the public or the security of Canada. In that case, you'll receive a notice about a danger opinion sometime after you've been found inadmissible.

Generally, you have 15 days from the day you get a notice about the danger opinion to provide a response.

The danger opinion process is complicated. You should get legal help from an immigration lawyer right away.

Hide this website