3. Apply for a travel document if you’re outside Canada

If your expires while you're outside Canada, you need to apply to a Canadian visa office or Visa Application Centre for a Permanent Resident Travel Document.

The application package includes:

You can use the Travel Document to prove your status when returning to Canada. Once you're back in Canada, you can apply for a new permanent resident card.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will refuse to give you a Travel Document if they think you've lost your status as a permanent resident. This could happen if, for example, they think you've not met your .

If IRCC refuses your application, you have 60 days to appeal that decision.

Hide this website