How do I sponsor my spouse or partner if they’re living in Canada?

4. Pay the fees and send in your application

When you send your application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you must include proof that you've paid the processing fees. If you're sponsoring only your or partner, you have to pay:

If your spouse has temporary status in Canada, they can apply and pay for an open work permit with the spousal sponsorship. For example, they can do this if they have a student or work permit.

You also have to pay $500 as a right of permanent residence fee.

You can pay this fee after IRCC approves your application. If you pay it when you apply and IRCC refuses your application, they'll give you back the money.

How to pay

You pay your fees online using a credit card or a Canadian debit card. You need to give IRCC an email address. They email you a receipt. You must print the receipt and include it with your application.

Before you send in your application

Review your document checklist to make sure you have completed and signed all the forms as required and included all the documents that IRCC asks for. Make sure that you're using the most recent version of each form.

If you're not sure about something, ask for information from a community agency or get legal help.

Sending in your application

Organize the application in the following order:

  • your completed checklist
  • the barcode pages 
  • all other documents in the order listed on the checklist

Make a copy of your application and every document you include with it, and keep them in a safe place.

Send the application by courier or registered mail and ask for proof that it's delivered to the IRCC Case Processing Centre. Keep your proof of delivery.

Hide this website