4. Prepare your H&C application

You must now use the online Permanent Residence Portal to submit your application.

Another format

If you can't apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to ask for the application in another format. For example, you could ask for an application that is on paper, braille, or large print.

To do this, send an email to IRCC.PRPortalALTRequest-DemandeALTPortailRP.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.

In the subject line of the email include:

  • the format you need, for example paper, braille, or large print, and
  • the sponsorship application package you want

In the body of the email include:

  • your full name as shown on your passport
  • why you're asking for an alternate format
  • if you want the application in English or French
  • your email address if you want the application to be sent by email
  • your mailing address if you want the application to be sent by mail

IRCC will review your request and send you instructions about how to apply. To submit your application:

  • fill out and sign any paper forms
  • include a copy of the approval letter or email from IRCC by placing it on top of your application package
  • return the application by mail or courier to the mailing address given in the instructions

For more information, call 1-888-242-2100.

Following IRCC’s instructions

IRCC has an instruction guide that gives detailed information about:

Using IRCC’s document checklist

Use IRCC's document checklist to make sure you include all of the documents they require. For example, you have to get:

  • photocopies of identity documents, such as passports or birth certificates
  • police certificates from each country where you lived for at least 6 months after the age of 18
  • certified translations for any documents that are not in English or French

When IRCC will send back your application

IRCC will send your application back to you if you:

  • don't include all the forms and documents they need from you
  • don't fully complete all the required forms
  • don't include proof that you've paid the full amount of the processing fee

Evidence that supports your application

If you don't include strong that IRCC should accept your application, they'll likely refuse it. It's important to get legal help so that your application is as strong as possible.

A lawyer who knows immigration law can help you make the strongest possible application and can help you gather evidence to support it.

Hide this website