Get legal help

Do permanent residents lose their status if they spend time outside Canada?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

Get legal help

If you think your permanent resident status might be at risk because of time you spent outside Canada, it's important to get legal advice.

A lawyer who knows immigration law can help you understand:

  • whether you could lose your status
  • whether your status could be at risk because you're planning to travel outside Canada
  • what you can do to protect your status and your right to stay in Canada

If you've been ordered to leave Canada, get legal help right away.

There may be things you can do. For example, you may be able to appeal the removal order. Act quickly, because the time limit to appeal is 30 days.

You May Also Need

Law Society of Ontario
Reviewed: March 12, 2019

Parlez Français